Understanding Clothing Measurements
Clothing measurements are necessary for both purchasing andmaking garments. Understanding these measurements will helpyou determine what sizes to buy and make well-fitted clothes.
Body measurements are taken of the individual wearer. Common measurements include:
- Bust: measure around the fullest part of the bust
- Waist: measure around the natural waist line
- Hip: measure around the fullest part of the hip
- Inseam: measure from the crotch to the desired length of the pant
Garment measurements are taken from the finished product. Common measurements include:
- Length: measure from the high point on the shoulder to the desired length
- Chest: measure from armpit to armpit across the chest/stomach
- Sleeve Length: measure from the shoulder seam to the desired sleeve length
- Waist: measure around the waist of the garment
Making sure that these measurements are accurate is key to making well-fitted and properly-sized clothing. Whether you are buying clothes off the rack or making your own, understanding the correct measurements will ensure the best fit for you.