Can Cats Wear Clothes?
Cats are known for their independent nature, so the idea of outfitting a cat in clothing may seem farfetched. The truth is that cats can and do wear clothes – but whether they should, may be up for debate.
The Pros and Cons of Clothes for Cats
There are several arguments that can be made for and against cats wearing clothes:
- Protection from the Elements – A coat or jacket for your fur baby can provide warmth or protection from sun or rain. This is especially helpful for cats who spend a lot of time outdoors or live in colder climates.
- Special Occasions – Love dressing up your pet? Clothing can help your cat look the part for a special occasion or photo shoot.
- Medical Reasons – Depending on their needs, some cats may benefit from warm jackets and calming clothing to wear during medical exams or treatments.
- Cat-o-phobes – Even if your cat loves wearing clothing, you may still be met with some opposition from other animal lovers that believe it is unnatural.
- Reduced Mobility – Some cats may find clothing cumbersome and move less freely in it, which can reduce the enjoyment they get from their activities like chasing small animals or climbing.
- Health Risks – If a piece of clothing is slipping off, loose or too tight, it can pinch the fur, rub against delicate skin, or even leave your cat with fur matting.
Thinking Twice About Clothes for Cats
No matter which way you lean on the subject of clothes for cats, the best piece of advice is to look at the bigger picture: Will your cat be happy, comfortable, and safe in their clothing?
Ultimately, cats aren’t animals that naturally wear clothing, so it is important to think through the pros and cons of outfitting your cat before making any decisions.