Does Coconut Oil Stain Clothes?
It’s no secret that coconut oil is a healthy and versatile ingredient with many benefits. But what you may not know is that it can also stain your clothes. The varying levels of color and consistency of coconut oil can cause it to linger on your garments and make them appear discolored and dingy.
What Causes Coconut Oil Stains?
Coconut oil can leave greasy, oily and wax-like stains on clothes if not removed immediately. This can be a problem on upholstery, carpets, and other fabrics where it’s harder to clean. The type of coconut oil and the fabric’s composition will determine whether or not the stain can be removed.
How to Get Coconut Oil Stains Out of Clothes
When it comes to removing coconut oil stains from clothes, the quicker you can act – the better. Here are a few things you can do for the best chances of success:
- Scrape off whatever oil you can – use a blunt item, such as a spoon, to scrape off as much oil from the fabric as possible.
- Apply a pre-treatment or stain remover – if you have a pre-treatment or a laundry stain remover on hand, apply it directly to the stain and then let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Use a laundry detergent – apply a teaspoon of detergent directly to the stain, then rub it in with your fingers or a soft-bristled brush.
- Add dish soap – if the stain is particularly stubborn, add a teaspoon of dish soap to a cup of warm water and use a soft brush to scrub the affected area.
- Wash in warm water – use the warmest water setting your garment can handle and add some stain remover as well.
How to Prevent Coconut Oil Stains
If you’re using coconut oil, try to be mindful of where it’s going and how much of it you’re using. The best way to prevent coconut oil stains is to take these steps:
- Cover your clothes – wear an apron or long-sleeved shirt to avoid getting any oil directly on your clothes.
- Wipe up as much oil as possible – use a paper towel or napkin to soak up any excess coconut oil so it doesn’t have a chance to set into the fabric.
- Clean up immediately – as soon as you can, grab a cloth and some dish soap and clean up any coconut oil spills.
Though coconut oil can be a great source of nourishment, it can also cause a mess. Hopefully, this article has helped you understand how to best avoid and remove coconut oil stains from your clothes.