Can Dogs Wear Clothes to Sleep?
Dogs are some of the most beloved companions of humans, so it’s only natural that people would want to give their dogs the same comforts that they have themselves. High on the list of comforts is warm, cozy clothes to sleep in. But do dogs really need clothes to sleep in?
Why Might Dogs Need Clothes?
There are three primary reasons why a dog might need clothes to sleep in:
- The dog is particularly cold-sensitive and needs extra layers.
- The dog has a medical condition that requires extra warmth.
- The animal is a small-breed dog with minimal coat.
Typically, these three categories of dog are the ones that would benefit from having clothes when they’re sleeping.
How to Tell Whether Your Dog Needs Clothes?
The best way to tell if your dog needs clothes to sleep in is to observe it. Does it frequently curl up in the warmest spot in the house? Does it shiver a lot? Does it sleep in a specific location such as a drafty corner? Any of these clues could indicate that your dog is cold and might need clothes to sleep in.
It’s also a good idea to check with your veterinarian if you’re unsure. Your vet can give you a professional opinion on whether your dog may need extra warmth or coats when they’re sleeping.
Is There Anything I Should Know Before I Buy Clothes For My Dog?
- Buy clothes that fit – Clothing that’s too tight can be dangerous for your dog and can lead to skin irritations and constriction. Make sure you measure your dog before buying any clothing so you can get the right size.
- Check the material – Your dog’s clothes should be made of breathable fabric such as cotton or fleece to allow for air circulation. Avoid materials that don’t breathe well, such as plastic or rubber.
- Choose cozy clothes – Always buy clothes that are comfortable for your dog and won’t restrict their movement. If a garment is too tight and restricts their movement, your dog won’t be able to get a good night’s sleep.
The Bottom Line
Clothes can provide extra warmth and comfort for dogs, especially those that are especially sensitive to cold. It’s important to observe your dog and check with your veterinarian if you’re unsure if your dog needs clothes before making the purchase. Make sure that all clothing you buy for your dog is the right size and is made of a breathable fabric.