Can Goo Gone be Used on Clothes?
Goo Gone is a liquid solution that has a wide range of uses, most commonly used for removing sticky substances such as labels, tape residue, and crayon. Home users swear by this product for cleaning various surfaces, but can it be used on clothes?
Warnings About Using Goo Gone on Clothes
When using Goo Gone on clothes, it is important to be careful and to remember these few warnings.
- Check for Colorfastness: Before using Goo Gone on any fabric, it is important to test it for colorfastness. Colorfastness is the resistance of fabric dye to running or bleeding after exposure to water, detergent or other liquids. Test the product on a hidden area of the fabric to check for any color change or fading.
- Always Use in a Ventilated Room: It is recommended that you use the product in a well-ventilated room, such as an open window or outdoors. The vapor of the product can be dangerous if the concentration is too high. Wear gloves and safety goggles where necessary.
- Wash Immediately Afterwards: After using Goo Gone on clothes, it is important to wash the clothes immediately after, in order to remove any residue. Rinse the clothes in cold water and follow this up with a gentle detergent. It is best to use an old rag or an old toothbrush to gently scrub the stained area.
Best Practices for Using Goo Gone on Clothes
If you decide to use Goo Gone on clothes, it is important to follow the best practices.
- Use Sparingly: Use only a minimal amount of Goo Gone on the soiled area, as too much can cause the fabric to weaken easily.
- Blotting: Blotting is much better than scrubbing on clothes. Scrubbing with an abrasive material can make the fabric weaker.
- Read the Instructions: Before using the product, be sure to read the instructions on the label as to how to use it properly.
In conclusion, using Goo Gone on clothes can be done, however it is important to exercise caution. Test a hidden area of the fabric for colorfastness, use in a well-ventilated area, and use the product sparingly. Lastly, be sure to read the instructions on the label for the best possible results.