Washing Dark and Light Laundry Together
Do you ever feel like you have a laundry basket full of endless questions about washing light and dark clothing together? Washing light and dark clothing together can be tricky and seem overwhelming. However, it is very possible to keep your laundry looking clean without mixing the two garment types.
Benefits of Washing Dark and Light Clothes Together
• Saves time – Washing light and dark clothing together can save you time because you don’t have to do multiple loads.
• Saves money – Washing light and dark clothing together can save you money by reducing the amount of energy and water needed for two separate loads.
• Prevents fading – Washing light and dark clothing together can also help prevent fading because lighter clothing can receive extra protection from being mixed with darker items.
Risks of Washing Dark and Light Clothes Together
• Color Bleeding – Washing light and dark clothing together can cause color bleeding, which is when the color from one garment is transferred to another.
• Discoloration – Washing light and dark clothing together can cause discoloration, which is when the white or light-colored fabric becomes dingy or stained by the darker colors.
• Shrinking – Washing light and dark clothing together can cause clothes to shrink more than when washing them separately.
Tips to Help You Wash Dark and Light Clothes Together
• Sort and separate by color – Before washing your clothing, it’s important to sort and separate your items. Put all whites together, all lights together, and all darks together.
• Choose a mild detergent – Choose a mild detergent to help prevent color transfer from darker items.
• Use cold water – Use cold water when washing light and dark clothing together to help prevent fading and color transfer.
• Wash darker items on their own cycle – Put darker items in for a separate cycle or second rinse to help prevent any possible color transfer.
• Wash in small batches – It’s best to wash light and dark clothing together in small batches to ensure that the dryer ends up with a balanced load. This can help to prevent your clothes from becoming tangled and reduce the risk of any potential discoloration.
Washing dark and light clothing together can seem daunting, but there are ways to make it easier. By following the tips above and taking a little extra care in the process, you can keep your clothes looking great and make the most of your laundry time.