Can I Wash My Clothes With Baking Soda?
Do you ever find yourself out of laundry detergent and wondering if you can just use baking soda as an alternative? Well, the simple answer is, yes, you can wash your clothes with this. But you must use it correctly.
What Is Baking Soda?
Baking soda, otherwise known as sodium bicarbonate, is a naturally-made mineral that has a wide range of uses, from cooking and cleaning to hygiene and beauty. It’s fairly inexpensive and is usually sold in a powder or granular form.
Benefits of Washing Clothes With Baking Soda
Here are a few benefits of washing your clothes with it:
- Eliminates odors: Soda is excellent at absorbing odors and deodorizing your clothes. It can help remove funky smells from areas like sports apparel, socks, and other clothes that typically have a strong smell.
- Softens fabrics: Soda helps to soften fabrics by breaking down the fibers in your clothes, making them feel softer when you take them out of the washing machine.
- Gentle on fabrics: Baking soda is mild and gentle on your fabrics, making it a great solution for washing delicate garments.
How to Use Baking Soda to Wash Clothes
If you’re using this as a detergent, here are the steps you should take:
- Before adding your clothes to the machine, add ½ cup to 1 cup of soda to the drum of the machine.
- After adding the soda, add your laundry and wash as usual.
- If you want to add extra scent, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the soda before adding it to the machine.
If you’re washing just one item of clothing, you can dissolve 2-3 tablespoons of soda in a bucket of warm water and soak your clothes for about 30 minutes before washing them as normal.
So, can you wash your clothes with baking soda? Yes! This is a great alternative to laundry detergent and is effective at removing odors, softening fabrics, and being gentle on fabrics. When using this, just remember to use it correctly and take extra care if you’re washing delicate items.