Can I Wash New Clothes with Old Clothes?
As a general rule, it is recommended not to wash new clothes with old clothes. Different clothes require different levels and types of care. When throwing a whole lot of different clothes in the washing machine, care must be taken to ensure that the delicate items are not torn and ruined by heavier items and vigorous washing.
Risks to be aware of when washing clothes together
- Color/Dye transfer – If you don’t do a full sort of your laundry, two different colors may come into contact, resulting in a colour transfer.
- Bleed onto other items – Certain clothing pieces may have more intense dye, which can affect the lifespan of lighter items.
- Unequal washing – Smaller items may not be washed evenly in the same cycle as larger items.
Things to consider when washing new and old clothes together
- Item type – Avoid washing items of very different fabrics together. For example, it is not recommended to throw a cotton t-shirt together with a delicate lace skirt.
- Color and stitch – Make sure the colors of the clothes in the laundry basket are similar and try to avoid pieces with bright colors or bold stitching.
- Machine settings – If you are washing clothes with different fabrics and colors, make sure to adjust the washing machine settings appropriately.
How to protect clothes when washing new and old together
- Opt for a delicate cycle – Use a gentle wash cycle to ensure that the load isn’t too vigorous.
- Use mild detergent – Use a mild detergent to prevent any damage to the fabrics.
- Avoid fabric softener – Fabric softener can make the fabrics too soft and it might even cause damage.
- Separate light and dark items – When putting light and dark items together, use a mesh bag to separate them.
- Line dry – Line dry your laundry for extra protection.
In conclusion, it is possible to wash new and old clothes together, but it is important to be aware of the risks and take care to ensure that the items are washed in the correct way. Take the time to fully sort your laundry and ensure that all items are suitable for the same washing cycle. Always use a delicate setting and mild detergent when washing.