Can Mosquitoes Bite Me Through My Clothes?
Mosquitoes are pesky and relentless pests that will bite you if they sense you near them. But can they still do that through your clothing? The answer is yes, they can—and here’s why.
How Mosquitoes Bite Through Clothing?
Mosquitoes rely on their sensory organs to detect skin and the carbon dioxide exhaled by humans. Clothes can’t completely mask your body heat, so even if you’re wearing one layer of clothing, there’s still a good chance that a mosquito will detect it. Mosquitoes then bite through the clothing fabric, usually at locations nearest to the skin.
What Kind of Clothing Can Protect Me From Mosquitoes?
The fabric of your clothing is an important factor to consider when it comes to mosquito protection. Here are the types of fabrics that are effective against mosquitoes:
- Tightly Woven Materials – Tightly woven fabrics like denim, cotton, and polyester mosquito net fabric can be effective in blocking mosquitoes.
- Light Colors – Light colors like white, cream, beige, and light blue can help you stay insect-proof, since they don’t absorb as much heat and may keep mosquitoes away.
- Treated Materials – There are some fabrics that can be treated with insect repellent to provide added protection.
Precautionary Measures Against Mosquito Bites
Aside from wearing the right clothing, there are several other precautionary measures you can take to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Here are some of them:
- Remain in well-screened or air-conditioned places.
- Apply insect repellents directly to your skin.
- Cover your skin as much as possible when you’re in an area with a lot of mosquitoes.
- Get rid of standing water or areas where water accumulates in your yard.
Mosquitoes are a nuisance and can cause severe health problems if not avoided. Therefore, it’s important to take all the necessary precautions to protect yourself from mosquito bites, including wearing the right clothing.