Can You Fix Shrunken Clothes?
Everyone has experienced the disappointment of throwing clothes in the washing machine only to find that they’ve shrunk. But don’t despair, there are some tricks you can use to try to fix shrunken clothes.
What You Will Need:
- Hair Conditioner
- Small Weights
- Use two towels to make a flat area. Place the shrunken clothing item between the towels.
- Fill a bowl with hot (not boiling) water and add a tablespoon of shampoo. Place the clothing item in the bowl and let it soak for 15 minutes.
- Take the clothing item out and rinse it in a bowl of cool water.
- Fill a second bowl with cool water and add two tablespoons of hair conditioner. Place the clothing item in the bowl and let it soak for 15 minutes.
- Take the clothing item out and squeeze, but do not wring, the water out.
- Lay the clothing item flat again between the towels and place the small weights on top. You can also use a heavy book or something similar.
- Leave the clothing item to dry overnight.
- The next day, use an iron and steam the clothing item for 5-10 minutes.
- Lay the clothing item on a flat surface and check to see if it has returned to its original size.
Using these steps can, in some cases, help fix clothing items that have shrunk. But remember that success isn’t guaranteed, so the best way to prevent shrinkage of clothing is to always follow the Manufacturer’s Care Label and use cool or warm temperatures for washing, cool for drying and ironing on low heat where possible.