Can You Get Food Coloring Out of Clothes?
Accidents happen and food coloring can end up staining your clothing. You may wonder if food coloring stains are possible to remove. The good news is that if the stain is caught quickly enough, it is quite possible to remove it with a few ingredients and some patience.
Ingredients and Materials Needed
The following ingredients are needed to remove food coloring stains:
- White vinegar – Used to dissolve the food coloring
- Baking soda – Creates a paste with the vinegar that helps to scrub away the stains
- Water – Used to help dissolve the stain and rinse away residue
- A cloth – Used to gently scrub away the stain
Instructions to Remove Food Coloring
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and baking soda to form a paste.
- Take the paste and work it into the stain. Allow it to sit on the fabric for a few minutes.
- Using a clean cloth, lightly scrub the fabric, making sure not to rub it too much so as not to damage the fabric.
- Rinse the cloth with water and continue to scrub or dab at the stain until it lifts.
- Once the stain has been removed, rinse again with cold water.
- If the stain is still present, repeat the steps until it is gone.
- If necessary, you can also use a stain removal product. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Finally, launder the clothing as usual following the fabric care instructions.
Tips for Preventing and Treating Food Color Stains
- Act quickly. The quicker you can get to the stain, the easier it will be to remove it.
- Avoid rubbing the stain as much as possible. This can cause the stain to spread or become permanently set in the fabric.
- Be sure to rinse the fabric well after treating the stain to remove all residue of the food color.
- Be sure to pre-treat the stain with a stain remover or laundry detergent before laundering the item.
Knowing how to remove food coloring stains is a good skill to have. Follow the instructions and tips provided here, and you should be able to effectively remove most food coloring stains in no time.