How to Get Rust Out of Clothes
Rust spots can be very difficult to remove from clothing. If you are looking to get rid of rust stains, here are some methods you can use:
Vinegar and Bicarbonate of Soda
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda to form a paste.
- Apply the paste directly to the rust stain and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Once the paste has been given time to set, rub the affected area with a soft-bristled brush.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Launder the item as normal.
Lemon Juice and Salt
- Mix equal parts lemon juice and salt.
- Rub the mixture onto the rust stain.
- Leave the mixture on for about half an hour.
- Rinse the stained area with cold water.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Launder the clothingitem as normal.
Rust Remover Products
For tough rust stains, you can try using a specialized rust remover. There are several products on the market designed specifically for removing rust stains. Be sure to follow the instructions on the product carefully. Apply directly to the rust stain, let it sit, then wash as normal.
It can take some trial and error to get the rust out of your clothes. Be sure to follow the instructions and always test any method on a small, inconspicuous area of the clothing first.