Can You Put Shoes in the Washer with Clothes?
It is possible to put shoes in a washing machine, but it is not recommended to do so, as it can cause more damage than good. To understand why, let’s look at the facts:
The Pros of Machine Washing Shoes
- Very convenient and practical way of cleaning
- Can save time
- Easy and quick way of washing
The Cons of Machine Washing Shoes
- Can remove adhesives and glues used to connect shoe parts
- Improperly setting the washer can cause cracks and tears in the material
- Can cause undue stretching or shrinkage in the material
- Can cause the color to fade, or some colors may even transfer to other garments
Considering the above, it is recommended to avoid machine washing your shoes altogether. Hand washing is a much more gentle process that may produce better results, as long as you don’t use too much water or detergent. Make sure all dirt and grime is removed from the exterior of the shoes before any soaking occurs. The use of a brush or scrub can be helpful in this regard.
In conclusion, shoes should not be put in a washing machine with clothes. Washing them by hand, however, can be done in a safe and effective manner.