The Pros and Cons of Storing Clothes in the Attic
There are a variety of benefits and drawbacks to consider when storing clothes in the attic. Let’s take a closer look at both sides of the coin so you can make an informed decision on whether or not storing clothes in an attic is right for you.
- Great space saver. An attic is often one of the largest rooms in the house and a great space-saving option for clothes not in use.
- You can store rare and vintage items and keep them safe from any environmental hazards.
- Storing items in bags will keep them organized and make them easier to access when you need them.
- Lack of ventilation. Some attics only have a few windows, so air circulation can suffer and thereby causing mildew and mold.
- Higher temperatures. Attics can become unbearably hot during the summer months due to their lack of air circulation.
- Pests. Lack of ventilation can also mean pests will be attracted to the clothing and storage items you have in your attic.
At the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide if storing clothing in the attic is the right choice for you and your family. If you can guarantee plenty of ventilation, then storing clothes in the attic can be a great choice. Otherwise, you may want to consider other storage options such as boxes or closets.