Using Magic Eraser on Clothes
Have a clothing item stained or soiled, and aren’t sure how to clean it? You may think about using a Magic Eraser, but doing so can be risky. A Magic Eraser is a melamine foam sponge that can help remove dirt and stains from surfaces. However, if used on clothes, it can also bring unintended damages.
Should You Use a Magic Eraser on Clothing?
It’s not recommended to use a Magic Eraser on clothes, as this can cause significant damage. This is especially true for delicate clothing items.
- Discoloration – A Magic Eraser can cause discoloration on some fabrics.
- Tearing– A Magic Eraser may tear or puncture delicate fabrics.
- Fragility – The melamine foam may make fabrics become fragile, causing them to tear and wear easily.
Alternative Ways to Clean Clothing
Although a Magic Eraser may be helpful for removing tough stains, as a general rule, it is not recommended to use this cleaning tool on clothing items. Here are some alternative ways to remove tough stains:
- Soak and Launder – The most effective way to remove a stain is to let it soak and launder the clothing item.
- Shaving Cream – Use shaving cream as a pre-treatment to fight stubborn stains.
- White Vinegar – White vinegar is great for removing some oil-based stains.
When it comes to cleaning clothing items, it’s always better to rely on conventional methods – such as soaking and laundering – to ensure the item doesn’t become damaged. A Magic Eraser is best for surfaces other than clothes.