Can You Wash a Silver Polishing Cloth?
Cleaning silver jewelry can be a daunting task. Silver tarnishes over time with regular contact with air, handling, and jewelry storage. Best way to keep silver jewelry clean and looking new is to frequently use a silver polishing cloth. But what happens when these polishing cloths start to look soiled, can they be washed and reused?
What is a Silver Polishing Cloth?
A silver polishing cloth is a specially treated cloth intended to polish silver jewelry by removing tarnish and oxidation. The cloth is usually constructed of cotton and is impregnated with a polishing agent.
How to Clean a Silver Polishing Cloth
To keep the silver polishing cloth in good condition and remove tarnish, you can clean it after each use.
- Step 1: Wash your hands before use or touching the silver polishing cloth.
- Step 2: Place the silver polishing cloth in a bowl of lukewarm water containing a mild detergent.
- Step 3: With your hands, lightly scrub the cloth in circular motions, being careful not to rub or scrub too hard.
- Step 4: Rinse the cloth in cold running water.
- Step 5: Place the cloth on a towel and pat it dry.
Cautions When Washing Silver Polishing Cloth
Washing your silver polishing cloth can be done safely and easily. But to avoid potential damage, you should take the following precautions:
- Avoid Wringing – Do not wring or twist the cloth, as this will effect the cloths absorbency.
- No Hard Chemicals – Avoid harsh chemicals or solutions when washing the cloth.
- Store in a Dry Place – Once clean, make sure to store the cloth in a dry area, preferably provided by the manufacturer.
In conclusion, you can safely wash and reuse silver polishing cloths. Taking the proper precautions, your cloth should be good as new and ready to be used again.