Washing Clothes in a Bathtub
Do you ever wish you could do your laundry in the comfort of your own home? Maybe you don’t have a washing machine, or you want to save some money and use less water. Either way, you might be wondering: can you wash clothes in a bathtub?
The short answer…
Yes, you can certainly wash clothes in a bathtub! In fact, hand-washing clothes in a bathtub is something people have been doing for many years. It requires less water than washing in a machine and allows more control over the water temperature.
Items You Need For Hand-Washing
Before you get started, there are a few items you’ll need to have on hand.
- Detergent: Choose a detergent that is designed for hand-washing such as a liquid detergent or soap flakes, which are easier on fabrics than a powder detergent.
- Bucket or Basin: You’ll need something to soak your clothes in while they are being washed. A plastic basin or bucket works best.
- Hangers: You’ll need hangers to dry your clothes on.
- Towels: You’ll want some towels to lay your wet clothes on while they’re drying.
Once you have all the items you need, you can get started on washing your clothes.
- Fill the bathtub with water – make sure the water isn’t too hot, about body temperature is best.
- Add detergent – depending on the type of detergent you’re using, you may need to dissolve it in a bit of water in a separate container before adding it to the tub.
- Soak the clothes – put your clothes in the tub and let them soak for 15 to 30 minutes (or longer if they’re especially dirty).
- Agitate – use your hands to gently agitate the clothes and help the detergent work its magic.
- Rinse – drain the soapy water and refill the tub with clean, cool water. Swish the clothes around to get rid of the soap.
- Drain – drain the water and repeat the rinse as necessary, until all the soap is gone.
- Squeeze – gently squeeze the water out of the clothes, don’t twist or wring them.
- Air-dry – lay your wet clothes on a towel and hang them up on a hanger to air-dry.
Washing your clothes in a bathtub may take a bit more time and effort than a full-sized washing machine, but it can be a great way to save money and water. Give it a try and see how it works for you!