Can You Wash Clothes When It’s Freezing Outside?
When the temperatures dip below freezing, you may wonder if you can still do your regular laundry routine. The short answer is yes – you can wash your clothes when it is freezing outside. However, there are a few things you should consider before doing so.
If you are doing laundry indoors, there are still a few things you should be aware of. Here are some tips:
- Protect your floors: When it’s cold and snowy outside, it’s important to make sure that your floors stay dry. Place a large rug in front of your washer and dryer to soak up any moisture that may run off.
- Be mindful of the level of heat: While it’s generally safe to do some laundry when the temperatures are freezing outside, be sure to turn down the water heater level in your washer. Too much heat can damage delicate fabrics and clothing.
- Follow the cleaning instructions for your machine: Make sure to read the cleaning instructions for your appropriate machine to ensure you don’t cause any laundry-related damage.
While doing laundry indoors is usually preferred, sometimes the standard temperature and humidity levels aren’t suitable for washing your clothes. If you decide to take things outdoors in the freezing temperatures, take the following guidelines into account:
- Pay attention to the wind direction: When you are washing clothes outside, make sure to keep the wind direction in mind. If the wind is blowing towards your washer and dryer, it can cause your clothes and linens to freeze before they are properly dried.
- Be mindful of the temperature: Although it’s okay to wash your clothes when it is freezing outside, it’s important to keep an eye on the temperature. If it gets too cold, your clothes may not dry properly and could become damaged.
- Change your laundry routine: If you’re going to be doing laundry outdoors in cold weather, adjust your laundry routine. Try to do laundry during the day, when the temperatures are the highest, and use warm detergents and fabric softeners for best results.
Overall, you can safely do laundry when it’s freezing outside as long as you take certain precautions. Make sure to protect your floors from moisture, and be mindful of the temperature and wind direction when washing outdoors. And always follow the cleaning instructions for your machine to ensure a successful laundry cycle.