Clothing Guidelines and Cultural Considerations in Dubai
Living in Dubai, one of the most culturally-diverse cities in the world, comes with a unique set of clothing guidelines – especially for tourists looking to visit. Knowing what is appropriate to wear in public can help visitors feel confident and respectful during their trips to Dubai.
Revealing Clothes in Dubai
When it comes to revealing clothes, it is always best to dress conservatively in Dubai. This especially applies for foreign visitors who may not understand the city’s cultural norms. Generally, the more skin that is covered, the more respect you show to the locals.
Here are some guidelines to consider when it comes to covering up in Dubai:
- Skirts: Skirt lengths should be at the knee or lower – shorts and mini-skirts should be avoided.
- Shirts: Women should avoid wearing tank tops and shirts with cleavage.
- Swimwear: Swimsuits should be worn only at beaches, swimming pools and designated areas. If in doubt, wrap a towel or sarong around you as you move from the beach to the street.
It’s also important to consider that, even if you are wearing something that is not revealing, it is generally better to err on the side of caution and wear clothing that does not emphasize curves or show a lot of skin.
What Else to Consider?
In addition to clothing, visitors to Dubai should also be mindful of other cultural and religious considerations.
- Do not display public shows of affection.
- Do not criticize the ruling family or Islamic religion in public.
- Do not bring alcohol or illegal substances into the country.
Visiting Dubai can be a wonderful experience. By following the clothing guidelines and observing Dubai’s cultural norms, visitors can have an enjoyable and respectful stay in this amazing city.