Does Borax Kill Mold on Clothes?
Borax is a naturally-occurring mineral which has plenty of uses around the home, including for killing mold and mildew. Many people wonder if it can be used to effectively get rid of mold on clothes and other fabrics. The answer is yes, borax can be used to kill mold on fabrics.
How Does Borax Kill Mold?
Borax is a strong mineral-based cleanser with anti-fungal properties that make it an effective mold killer. It penetrates deep into fabrics, killing the mold, spores and bacteria that cause mold to grow. It’s also great for eliminating musty odors, which are often caused by mold.
How to Use Borax to Kill Mold on Clothes
Using Borax to kill mold on clothes is relatively easy and can be done with the following steps:
- Prepare the Borax Solution: First, mix together 1 cup of Borax and 1 gallon of warm water.
- Soak the Clothes: Rinse the affected clothing in cold water and then soak it in the Borax solution for at least 10 minutes.
- Scrub the Clothes: Using a soft brush or towel, gently scrub the clothing to remove the mold.
- Rinse the Clothes: Rinse the clothes in clean water several times until all trace of Borax is gone.
- Hang Dry the Clothes: Hang the clothes to dry in a well-ventilated area.
It’s important to note that Borax can fade some fabrics, so it’s best to test it on a small, inconspicuous area first.
Borax is a great option for killing mold on clothes. It is a natural, non-toxic mineral that is affordable and easy to find. Just make sure to use it carefully, according to the steps outlined above, to ensure that it kills the mold without damaging your clothing.