Dress Clothes for Men
Dress clothes for men can be a tricky subject for the uninitiated. Knowing the basics of what constitutes as “dressy attire” can ensure you make the best choice for any formal occasions you may be attending.
The archetypal formal men’s outfit is the two-piece suit. Whether you choose flat-front, pleat-front or altered trousers, the suit should sit comfortably when you move and the fabric should be of the highest quality.
- When selecting a suit, choose neutral colours such as navy, black or grey.
- The shoulders should also fit you correctly and be comfortable.
- Choose a single- or double-breasted jacket with either two- or three-buttons.
- Make sure the arm length fits correctly when you move and your shirt cuffs peek slightly from the jacket cuff.
- Finally, pick a notched or peaked lapel according to your preference.
A crisp tailored shirt is a must for any dress occasion. Long sleeve shirts are most preferable, with French cuffs for better occasions.
- Choose white, pale blue, charcoal or black shirts.
- Pick a spread or point collar, preferably made from cotton.
- Make sure the sleeves are a comfortable fit, with a little slack.
- Pay attention to the fit of the shirt around the chest and across the back.
- Choose a shirt with single button-cuffs.
Footwear should always be polished and carefully chosen to match the occasion.
- Leather shoes are best, with a standard black or oxblood colour.
- Make sure they fit comfortable and your socks should always match or coordinate with your trousers.
- For special occasions, you could try patent leather.
The finishing touches on formal attire can mean the difference between looking sharp and looking professional.
- Acceptable accessories include ties, pocket squares and cufflinks.
- Ties should match the colour and style of your suit, as well as your shirt.
- Pocket squares should match the colour of your tie.
- Cufflinks should be in gold or silver, depending on the occasion.
Overall, it is important to consider the occasion when choosing formal wear. Selecting the right materials and colours, understanding fit and accessories can help you stand out in any formal situations.