How To Shrink Clothes
Shrinking your clothes can be a great way to make them fit better. It’s an easy but effective way to tailor them to your body size, particularly if you’ve received an item as a gift and it doesn’t quite hit the mark.
Ways to Shrink Clothes
Here are few simple ways to shrink clothes in your very own home:
Hot Water Method
- Soak the fabric in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove item from water and wring out excess water.
- Put item in the dryer and select the highest ‘tumble dry’ setting.
- Check the garment every ten minutes, moving the item around in the dryer.
- Continue for 20-25 minutes or until you achieve desired results.
- Set the washing machine at the most intense level.
- Add the clothing.
- Start the cleaning cycle.
- Repeat the cycle if needed.
- Turn the garment inside out.
- Wet the fabric.
- Set your iron to the “woolen” setting
- Press the fabric with the iron.
- Move the iron in circular motions over the fabric for 10 seconds.
- Turn the garment over and repeat on the other side
Making your own clothes smaller is easy and requires minimal effort. The heat method is effective but takes longer, while the washing machine and iron methods provide instant results. No matter which method you choose, always remember to read the instructions that come with the item. Different fabrics and materials will require different amounts of heat.