How long can Urushiol stay on Clothes?
Urushiol is the most powerful allergen found in Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and Poison Sumac. It can remain on objects, such as clothing, for years. No matter what material the article of clothing is made of, urushiol can stick to it.
Effects of Urushiol on Clothes
Urushiol can cause an itchy, burning rash when it comes in contact with skin. It is very potent, and even the smallest amount can cause an allergic reaction. Urushiol can stay on clothing for a long time and still cause an allergic reaction in someone if it comes in contact with the skin.
How to Remove Urushiol from Clothes
Here are some tips to get rid of urushiol from clothing:
- Wash clothing with detergent and hot water. Do this as soon as possible after coming in contact with urushiol. The hot water helps to break down the oils that cause the reaction.
- Use soap and rubbing alcohol. Rub a bar of soap over any area that may have come in contact with urushiol and then rinse with rubbing alcohol. This will help to get rid of any remaining urushiol that may have survived the initial washing process.
- Dry the clothing separately. Do not mix them with other clothing as the urushiol may transfer to those items as well.
How Long Can Urushiol Remain on Clothes?
Unfortunately, there is no definite answer to this question as urushiol can remain on clothing for a very long time. Even after washing, it may still be present in trace amounts. It is best practice to wash any clothing that may have come into contact with urushiol as soon as possible, and to keep an eye on the area for any signs of a rash.