Clothing Donation Tax Deduction Rules in 2020
When spring cleaning arrives, you may be ready to toss all your unused clothing but if the clothing still has life in it, you can donate it to those in need. Donating your clothing also provides a great tax deduction! Understanding the tax deduction of clothing donations for the 2020 tax season can be a bit tricky, so here are all the details to help you maximize your deductions.
What You Need to Know About Clothing Donations Tax Deductions in 2020
- Qualifying Charities: The clothing must be donated to an eligible charity and you must get a receipt from the organization. Check the charity’s IRS status to make sure it qualifies and be sure to get a receipt for your items.
- Contribution Limits: You can only deduct a maximum of 50% of your adjusted gross income. This applies to all donations in the 2020 tax year and is spread out over all your charitable donations to multiple organizations.
- Documentation: Make sure that you keep a detailed description of the items that you donated. You must also be able to prove the fair market value of each item. Organizations like Salvation Army and Goodwill will provide you with an estimated value of the items that you donated.
- Appraised Value: If the value of each item is more than $500, you will need to get an appraised value to document and include with your tax filing.
What Do I Need to Claim the Clothing Donations Tax Deduction?
To claim the clothing donations deduction in 2020, you will need the following documentation:
- A record of the items being donated
- A receipt from the recipient charity
- The estimated value of each item
- An appraisal of individual items worth more than $500
Documenting these items properly is essential for claiming the tax deductions for clothing donations in 2020. Without the necessary paperwork, you may lose out on the deduction or worse, incur a tax penalty. So make sure you have the appropriate documentation on hand before filing your taxes.
Donating clothing is not only a kindly gesture, but it can also help maximize your tax deduction for the 2020 tax season! Following these guidelines can help you to correctly claim the clothing donations tax deduction.