How To Clean White Clothes That Have Yellowed
White clothes can become yellow over time from sweat, dirt, and laundry detergents. Fortunately, there are easy ways to get them looking bright and white again! Here are some tips to help you restore your white clothes to their original glory:
Remove Yellow Stains
- Soak the garment in warm water with 1/2 cup of white vinegar for 30 minutes.
- Rub the stain with a liquid laundry detergent.
- Rinse the garment with cool water and check to see if the stain has been removed.
- If the stain persists, mix 1/4 teaspoon of laundry bleach with 1/2 cup of water, and rub the mixture onto the stain. Let it sit for 15 minutes before washing with cool water.
Prevent Future Discoloration
- Wash and dry the garments inside out.
- Use a gentle laundry detergent.
- Avoid overdrying as much as possible; instead, remove the clothes promptly when the cycle ends.
- If the fabric can tolerate it, a small amount of white vinegar in the rinse cycle helps prevent yellowing.
With these tips, you can have your whites looking bright and white again in no time!