Men’s Dress Clothes: A Detailed Guide
Dressing with style and sophistication can help enhance your professional image and provide you with many years of wardrobe success. But, with the plethora of fashion choices available, it can be difficult to know what items make up a complete wardrobe. Here is a comprehensive guide to essential men’s dress items and how to style them.
A classic suit is the most foundational piece for a wardrobe, no matter the occasion. Every man needs at least one quality suit. Look for the following characteristics when choosing a suit:
- Fabric: Opt for a traditional wool fabric in a medium to lightweight material.
- Fit: The fit of the suit should be as close to perfect with no excessive tightness or bagginess. Chambray and linen suits have a more relaxed fit.
- Color: Choose a classic color such as navy, dark grey, or black.
A button-up shirt is an absolute must-have for any formal affair. A quality fabric and fit are essential to the professional look of a dress shirt. Here are some important factors to consider when purchasing a shirt.
- Collar: Spread collars are best for larger or triangle-shaped faces and point collars are best for slender or rectangular-shaped faces.
- Fabric: Choose options such as long-staple combed cotton, twill, poplin, and broadcloth.
- Color: White is a timeless color and can always be a safe choice. Solid pastels such as blue, pink, and light grey give the outfit a slightly more casual look.
The tie is the quintessential accessory that can put the finishing touches on a suit. When selecting a tie, make sure the length is appropriate, the fabric is of good quality and that the tie complements the shirt and suit. Below are a few more general tips to keep in mind when wearing a tie.
- Texture: Patterns with stripes, dots, and paisley are more modern and subtle choices.
- Width: Traditional designs are between 2.5 and 3.5 inches in width. Depending on personal preference, you can go up or down depending on the look you’re after.
- Knot: Different types of knots create different looks. The most popular knot is the four-in-hand, but popular wider knots such as the half-Windsor and full Windsor look great when teamed with a wider-width tie.
The ideal dress shoes will be clean, conservative and comfortable. It’s best to opt for a pair of leather or suede shoes in shades of black or brown.
In conclusion, understanding the basics of dress clothing can help a man achieve wardrobe success. Investing in quality pieces that fit well, including suits, dress shirts, ties and shoes, is a key factor in looking polished and professional.