What Clothes Can You Wash Together?
Do you ever find yourself standing in front of the washing machine, laden down with different pieces of clothing, wondering which ones you can put in together? Washing certain materials together can ruin garments, and it’s important to understand the proper techniques. So, here are a few tips to help you out.
How to Know What to Wash Together
The main rule of thumb when it comes to knowing what items can go in the washing machine at the same time is to mix similar materials. Different types of fabric have different characteristics which can be damaged if washed together. Here are a few categories you should keep in mind:
- Natural Fabrics: Cotton, linen, silk, wool, and cashmere should all be washed together.
- Synthetic Fabrics: Polyester, spandex, and acrylic should also be washed together.
- Delicate Fabrics: Hosiery, lingerie, and chiffon should all be washed on their own.
However, delicate or special pieces may require specific care instructions, which can often be found on the label of the garment. It’s important to always read these for the best results.
Tips for Washing Different Types of Clothing Together
Although it’s advised to wash similar garments together, you may have reasons why you need to group dissimilar fabrics. In these cases, it’s best to follow a few guidelines:
- Use the gentlest cycle on the washing machine. This will rinse the fabrics carefully, helping to protect the integrity of the materials.
- Stick with cold or warm water. Hot water or the extra-hot sanitize cycle can ruin delicate materials.
- Don’t overfill the washing machine. Clothes should move around freely in the machine and not be tightly packed.
- Always check pockets. You’d be surprised how often coins or crayons can find their way into clothing!
These are some of the basic tips you should follow when washing different types of clothing together. If you’re ever in doubt, simply refer to the garment labels for more specific instructions.
It’s easy to damage clothing in the wash, but if you follow the advice above, you can categorise, wash and care for your items with ease. Good luck!