Will Coffee Stain Clothes?
Regular coffee consumption is growing especially since the pandemic, but coffee lovers are often left wondering whether or not they should worry about their favorite beverage staining their clothes.
Is Coffee Sufficiently Acidic to Stain Clothes?
The simple answer is yes. Coffee consists of an acid in the form of citric acid that can potentially cause damage to clothes. Coffee is acidic in nature, and this can lead to discoloring over time. The longer the coffee is left on fabric, the more the acid in the coffee will react with the fabric, which can result in unwanted staining on both light and dark colored clothing.
Steps to Prevent Coffee Staining
Fortunately, staining can easily be prevented! Here are some steps you can take to help avoid any unwanted staining:
- Blot, don’t rub: When possible blot the spill with a cloth instead of rubbing it across the fabric.
- Remove wet: Make sure to remove wet areas as quickly and effectively as possible with a cloth.
- Treat with detergent: If necessary, use a gentle detergent to help remove the stain.
- Do not iron: Do not try to heat set the stain as this will just make it harder for it to come out.
- Wash immediately: Make sure to always wash the affected garment as soon as possible.
With these simple steps and quick action, you can ensure that your clothes will not experience any unwanted staining from your favorite beverage. Enjoy your coffee without worry of staining your clothing; stain prevention is easy to attain with the right steps!