Will Highlighter Come Out of Clothes?
Highlighters can be used for a wide range of jobs, from taking notes in a lecture to emphasizing important passages in a book. When it comes to getting highlighter out of clothes, however, it can be a challenge.
Cleaning off Highlighter Stains
The best way to clean off highlighter stains depends on the type of fabric it is on. Below are some tips:
- Apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol (check the label to make sure it won’t damage the fabric).
- Blot gently with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Wash the fabric as you usually would.
- Blot the stain with a damp cloth, and then apply a small amount of liquid laundry detergent.
- Rinse using a cloth dampened with warm water.
- If necessary, repeat until the stain is gone.
- Wash the fabric as usual.
Leather or Suede
- Dry the fabric off with a soft, absorbent cloth.
- Rub the remainder of the stain with a clean eraser.
- Clean the area with a quality leather cleaner.
- Be sure to condition any leather items regularly to prevent future stains and wear.
Preventing Highlighter Stains
To help prevent highlighter stains, consider these tips:
- Avoid having highlighters near your clothing, especially when taking notes.
- Always color with highlighters on a separate piece of paper.
- If using highlighters on clothes, cover them with a piece of paper or cloth before doing so.
- Wash fabric immediately so the stain does not set in.
Highlighter stains can be difficult to remove, particularly if the stain has been around for awhile. With the right technique and the proper cleaning supplies, however, it is possible to get your clothes highlighter-free in no time.