Can Spray Foam Be Removed from Clothing?
Spray foam insulation is a useful tool for home insulation projects. However, one downside is that it can easily get on clothes and cause a nuisance if not dealt with. But, can spray foam be removed from clothes?
The Quick Answer
Yes, spray foam insulation can be removed from clothing, but it will require more work than other types of stains. Due to its chemical composition, the foam must be treated in a specific way before and after it is removed.
Instructions for Removing Spray Foam
It is possible to remove spray foam from clothes, but proper instructions must be followed to avoid damage:
- Step 1: Scrape off Excess Foam – Use a blunt knife to scrape as much of the foam off the surface of the clothes as possible.
- Step 2: Soak in Warm Water – Soak the stained clothing in warm soapy water for up to 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Apply a Cleaning Agent – A detergent or enzyme cleaner should be applied directly to the soaked fabric and allowed to soak into the foam. These special cleaners are made to break down the foam particles so they are easier to remove.
- Step 4: Rinse and Repeat – After the foam has been treated with the cleaning agent, rinse it off with warm water. This step may need to be repeated several times to remove all of the foam from the garment.
- Step 5: Wash and Dry – Once all of the foam has been removed, the clothing should be washed and dried as normal. Check your clothes for remaining foam before drying them.
Tips for Removing Spray Foam
Here are some additional tips to help you remove foam from your clothing:
- Pre-Treat the Stained Area – If the foam is difficult to remove, pre-treat the area with a stain remover before cleaning.
- Do Not Rub or Scrub the Foam – Rubbing or scrubbing the foam can cause it to spread and make the stain worse.
- Check the Care Label – Before treating your clothing with any type of cleaning solution, always check the garment’s care label for instructions.
Spray foam insulation can be a useful tool for insulation projects, but it can also cause a hassle if it gets on clothing. Fortunately, if you follow the proper steps, it is possible to remove spray foam from your clothes. Be sure to use the tips above and check the garment’s care label before treating the stain.